The field of criminal justice is constantly changing, and the tactics and techniques criminal justice professionals use continue to evolve. In fact, the field of criminal justice is nothing like it was 7,000 years ago, and even the tactics and techniques that have been present in a number of criminal justice careers for years are continually reinvented and refined. Professionals in the field of criminal justice, as a result, have to be aware of the regulatory, tactical, technical, and technological changes taking place around them on an almost daily basis, and they have to be prepared to prove that they can use these regulations, tactics, techniques, and technologies in the appropriate fashion. Unfortunately, it is virtually impossible for a criminal justice professional to keep track of all of the changes occurring in the criminal justice field at any given time. There are simply too many changes occurring in too many different facets of the criminal justice field for any one person to stay up-to-date with everything. However, a number of criminal justice journals are designed to help you stay up-to-date with the latest technologies and trends and help you find places where you can earn the continuing education credits or form the relationships you need to further your career. Some of the major criminal justice journals that you may want to investigate include:
- The ABA Journal is a law news journal published by the American Bar Association (ABA) that provides information about the latest changes, events, and issues occurring in the field of law. The Journal primarily focuses on news about the current activities of attorneys, but it also provides information about attorney business tactics, careers in the field of law, ethical issues in the legal field, the latest technology, regulatory changes, and other topics.
- The Corrections Compendium is a research journal published by the American Correctional Association (ACA) that provides information about the events currently taking place in the corrections field, new techniques and technology correctional officers may utilize, regulatory changes and other issues that may affect corrections officers, and books that may provide helpful information to corrections officers. The Corrections Compendium also provides reviews and information about the organizations and facilities that carry out correctional activities.
- Criminal Justiceis a magazine published by the American Bar Association (ABA) that provides information about the latest changes and issues occurring in the criminal justice field. Criminal Justice magazine primarily focuses on the issues that attorneys and other individuals will face in the courtroom, but it also provides information about the regulatory changes and societal issues that may affect other criminal justice professionals as well.
- The FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin is a journal/news bulletin published by the Federal Bureau of Investigation that provides information about the major events currently taking place in the field of law enforcement, new tactics and techniques law enforcement officers can use in a variety of different situations, new weapons and technology, information about violent criminals for which the FBI is looking (known as Violent Criminal Apprehension Program or ViCAP alerts), the issues law enforcement officers face, and a number of other topics.
- The Journal of Forensic Sciences is a research journal published by the American Academy of Forensic Sciences (AAFS) that provides information about current issues in the forensic sciences field, new techniques and technology forensic scientists can use, regulatory changes and other issues that may affect forensic scientists, and books that may provide helpful information to forensic scientists.
- The Justice Technology Information Network (JUSTNET) is not a journal in the strictest sense, but is instead a database established by the National Institute of Justice to help criminal justice professionals stay up-to-date with the latest technology. This database provides information about a countless number of articles, fact sheets, and other publications that describe new advances in aviation, body armor, communications, corrections, courtroom technology, crime mapping, cybercrime investigations, explosive detection and removal, forensics, personal protective equipment (PPE), school safety, surveillance, and a variety of other fields.
- Justice Quarterly is a research journal published by the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences that provides information current issues in the criminal justice field, new techniques and technology that criminal justice professionals can use, regulatory changes that may affect criminal justice professionals, and other topics.
- Perspectives is a research journal published by the American Probation and Parole Association (APPA) that provides information about the programs and techniques probation officers or parole officers can use to help or monitor the activities of the individuals under their supervision.